Friday, November 4, 2011

iPhone wi-fi problem with iOS5

11.20.11:
After visiting the Apple Store today, I now have an iPhone that doesn't do wi-fi more than 10 ft from the modem or router ... and the only solution is for me to buy a new iPhone.


You might not be aware, after 1 year, there is no warranty on an iPhone and you cannot pre-purchase extended warranty.


The Apple Store indicated my option was to purchase a replacement 3GS with a 30 day warranty for approx $200. If a problem happens after 30 days, i would need to buy another at the same price.


The Rogers kiosk at Fairview Mall (I have a 3 year plan) indicated my only option was to buy an iPhone 4S for approx $450 to finish my 3 year plan.


You can only imagine how pleased I was with these "options".


More to follow after talking with Rogers Customer Relations.....


11.18.11:
It appears the only 3GS iPhone users that have working wi-fi are Bell customers. This may not be completely accurate but the ones I know have working wi-fi.


Still investigating this unusual problem...


11.11.13: 
I have discovered a possible solution to my poor wi-fi service and I am reviewing it with the Apple forum.


If you have a 3GS iPhone and you have iOS 5 or 5.0.1 installed, try the following and let me know:


1. disable 3G and Mobile Data: Settings -General - Network
2. move more than 15 feet from your wireless router or wireless modem
3. disable auto-lock: Settings -> General - Auto-Lock
4. try to sync (ensure your PC has the same data) your iPhone: Settings - General - iTunes Wi-Fi Sync


The main purpose of wi-fi on the iPhone is to enable data movement to the iPhone at no cost ... without being hard-wired to your PC.


Until now, we could only hard-wire to our PC to ensure we weren't charged a cost for sync and backup of our iPhone.


With iOS5+, we are now able (theoretically) to data transfer (aka no cost data transfer) in the home (or via any wi-fi outside the home) wirelessly!


11.11.11: 
Updating to iOS 5.0.1 doesn't help.
The new version (5.0.1) arrived yesterday but did not include any help with wi-fi connectivity.
I have installed it and found less connectivity than with iOS 5.0.
If you have a pre iOS5 version installed, do not update yet.

11.05.11: 
Are you having connection problems with your iPhone and home wi-fi network?
If you are, you aren't alone ... and so far Apple is not recognizing a problem exists.


The problem is poor/no iPhone wi-fi connection as you move further from your modem or router. 
As a result, you will incur data to your account and may easily exceed your limit (when doing sync or backup ti iTunes, downloading data, adding/updating apps, etc).  


Before I realized it was an iOS5 problem, I bought a new Dlink DIR-651 router (thinking my old Belkin router was the possible problem) with the intent of returning it if it didn't fix the problem. 
Well, after three hours with a Dlink tech support on the phone to set it up, i took it back, as it wasn't as good as my very old Belkin. 


No ETA on when the wi-fi problem will be resolved and people on the Apple iPhone forums are voicing concern. Apple has not acknowledged it yet.


There are many possible fixes being advertised ... none work to-date.


I will update this item, when a solution is confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment