Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Browser Search Engine Problem

11.16.11: If you are having a problem with your browser search engine, let me know.


I had set mine to Google (as it is the absolute best, by far) and, now and then, it is replaced by Yahoo ... without my knowledge.


Read no further, if you only use Internet Explorer browser, as you shouldn't have a problem as they allow you to stop any change to search engine selected.


After some research, I found a company called Spigot has placed a folder in my Common Files folder within my Program Files folder. 
Program Files is the place on your PC where all applications you install reside. 
I have yet to understand why there is a Common Files folder within Program Files Folder... 


I have communicated with Spigot and they have indicated some companies use their product and may not be absolutely above board with how they deploy it. Rubbish!


I have found out how to delete this malware product ... malware because it changes (without my knowledge) the search engine i chose within my browser.


If you are noticing your search engine is something other than what you selected, let me know and I will show you a way to get rid of Spigot (if it is why).


For those still reading this item, I am slightly embarrassed that Google's browser (Chrome) doesn't stop attempts to change the search engine ... and have communicated with them and awaiting a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment