Sunday, May 15, 2011

iPhone - backup and not sync

05.15.11: I had trouble understanding the difference between 'sync' and 'backup' in iTunes for the iPhone.
I think I just figured it out ... and when/how to sync and when to backup.

It appears 'sync' means ensuring only items you stored in iTunes are on your iPhone.

Backup means copying everything on your iPhone to iTunes (overriding anything that was backed up previously).

My advice is NEVER do the Sync operation but periodically do the Back Up operation.
Before periodically backing up you iPhone, you need to attach your iPhone (via USB) to your PC where iTunes is installed.
You will then see the left menu "Devices" item with your iPhone (Chas's iPhone, in pic) .
When you right-click this item, it will open a sub-window with: Eject, Sync, Transfer Purchases, Back Up, Restore from Backup, Reset Warnings

To backup your iPhone:
1. do a Transfer Purchases
2. then do a Back Up

Unfortunately, this will not back up your photos.

When I take a pic, I send it via email to myself, to ensure i can retain it on my PC.
There are various methods of copying your iPhone photos to your PC, depending on version of windows ... not easy.
More on this in another blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment