Friday, January 4, 2013

Selecting a computer sound system

13.01.04: After 10 years, it was time to replace my speakers and subwoofer.
I listen to oldies and classical music while on my laptop.

This is the one I purchased (Z523).


My existing system is a Yamaha YST-MS201 bought from Futureshop for $70 in 2003.
The connection to the left speaker is intermittent and easily disconnected. Otherwise, the system was quite good and had satisfactory bass.




After some research, I decided I didn't want to pay more than the original setup and preferred 2.1 vs 5.1 or 7.1 (price...).

I decided to try these two before deciding:

1. Logitech Z313 - $59.99 at Walmart
2. Insignia NS-PCS41 - $62.99 at BestBuy

I shopped Jan 3rd (the day after sales ended).
Bought the Z313 (as priced).
Went to Futureshop and was surprised to see the Z523 model for $59.99. I had ignored this one, as it was listed at $99.99 a few days ago at the three stores.
Went to BestBuy and bought the Insignia ... for $45.99 (is listed at $62.99). 
No idea (and didn't ask) why prices were less than indicated on the shelves.

Returned the Z313 system to Walmart.

Tested the Insignia and Z523 systems and returned the Insignia.

Here are the specs I looked at (left click to enlarge):




The larger the watts, the more body to the sound and better sounding subwoofer.
A wider frequency response might suggest better quality speakers. Human ear is good for 20Hz-20kHz normally.

Of course, the most important criteria is how it sounds to your ears. The Z523 sounded fuller and easier on my ears.

Maybe the Logitech Z623 system will come later...

Now, time to analyze whether a 5.1 soundbar would be better than our surround sound (5 speaker) for our plasma TV.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the analysis.
    Coincidentally I had my techie here today, bringing my software up to date. After he left the speakers stopped working. I signed onto my email account and the first thing I see is your email about a sound system.
    Keep up the good work. I appreciate your efforts.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete