Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Online Stores - User Guide



18.11.20: have you tried these Android buying apps?

They also work on your computer.


I have recently purchased good quality golf grips, smartphone back protectors, USB phone cables, Tens unit pads, sunglasses, and much more, at very inexpensive prices.


Here are my buying guidelines for using these stores.


As with any phone app, you need to ensure you are comfortable with using your credit card online.

I have been doing it for many years with eBay and never had a security concern. I have paid (total cost) from $.08 to over a $1,000 ... and made over 400 eBay purchases.

don't buy from these stores if duties are identified as this increases the cost.


eBay

I use PayPal payment method as it offers up to $2,000 protection for refund. I have two seller problems and PayPal processed a refund within minutes!
eBay is very good protection from incorrect seller descriptions/deliveries and, via the eBay policy, refunds occur within 4 days. I have had a few of these and am very comfortable with eBay's commitment to customer service satisfaction.
The only concern with eBay is delivery which can be up to 45 days ... but there are no customs duties from Hong Kong.
If you buy from a USA seller,  you will probably incur customs duty charges if UPS or FedEx are involved. Or the USA seller will include customs charged in your price.
In summary, eBay is very good if you can wait for delivery. The only caution is try to ensure USPS is the delivery method for a USA purchase as they don't usually include duties. For purchases from other countries, check to ensure UPS or FedEx is NOT used as they may try to include duties.

Amazon.ca

You can only use a credit card to pay.
There may be duties included, if the seller is in the USA. You need to check where the seller is delivering from.
I have a Prime membership ($79/year) I acquired for free (don't know how) and I receive many purchases THE NEXT DAY!
You may incur tax, as many sellers may include.
In summary, Amazon.ca is great, if customs charges are not involved and you want fast delivery.

AliExpress

Another connection to Alibaba. You can only use a credit card to pay. There will probably not be any customs duties implications, as they use China postal service but, again, delivery can take a while and they will indicate how long. If delivery is longer, they indicate you get a fast refund.
I have just started using this app and will update this blog entry as time goes on.
The one real benefit I see so far is the order cancel button. I made a purchase and decided to cancel an hour later. It appears the sellers may wait up to 24 hours before confirming delivery and you can press the cancel button before the delivery notification appears in your account.

Getting into online store buying does involve a learning curve and experience. If you attempt it, let me know if i can help anytime.


Bottom Line

While I have used eBay the most, times are changing and I now use Amazon.ca with Prime (free 2 day delivery). 
I also use AliExpress and eBay, when I can wait up to 45 days for delivery. Hard to beat their prices and buyer protection.

Always check total Canadian cost and delivery schedule, before clicking the 'pay' button.

If you have questions, observations, or comments, pls respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment